- Feeling exhausted, irritable, angry or nervous?
- Not as interested in your baby as you might be?
- Are you experiencing feelings of being a bad mother?
- Crying uncontrollably?
- Are you experiencing feelings of guilt, worthlessness or hopelessness?
- Have you had thoughts of harming your baby or yourself?
Family members can play an important role by recognizing the warning signs of PPD, helping the woman seek help and providing support for any woman who has recently had a baby, has ended a pregnancy, miscarried, or has recently stopped breast-feeding. Post partum Depression is treatable, and treatment is available. The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services provides a statewide postpartum depression helpline (1-800-328-3838) 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer questions and inform callers of available resources. There is also a comprehensive informational Web site at www.njspeakup.gov.